Early Spring Book Arts Classes at Otter Pond Bindery & Special Opportunities this Summer
This class schedule was updated on March 29th, 2013. The schedule is subject to changes/additions depending on class requests. Please email email@example.com to sign up. All classes include materials, a delicious lunch and dessert, and printed instructions. A $40 nonrefundable deposit is required for each class. (If classes don't run, you get a full refund). Page Down to the bottom for directions to the Bindery.
Paste Paper Workshop: Saturday, March 30th 10-3pm. Get over those winter (color-deprived) blues! Come make a pile of gorgeous paper and if you like, fold luminarias for your summer evenings on the deck. Use paste paper for book-binding projects, gift cards and envelopes. You'll have a year's supply by the end of the day! $90 includes lunch, printed recipes and materials.
***Spirit House***--A Workshop with Paul Johnson: June 15th or 16th: A rare and special opportunity to work with internationally known book artist and author Paul Johnson. This will be a small class (6 people maximum) here at Otter Pond Bindery. $105 workshop fee includes a delicious lunch and all materials. Deposit required. For more information about the artist, click on (or copy and paste in your search line): http://www.bookart.co.uk/about_paul_johnson.html
***5-Day Workshop in Deer Isle, Maine*** July 28th to August 2nd, 2013. In this five-day retreat for artists and bookbinders on the gorgeous Maine coast, we will design paste paper, build a large Coptic-bound journal, and experiment with a number of watercolor and journal techniques. We will also have time to explore other book forms, depending on your interests. The $680 fee for this workshop includes 4.5 days of instruction, all materials, most meals, and five nights (Sunday through Thursday) in a lovely old Maine farmhouse on the water in Conary Cove (right around the corner from Haystack).
TBA: Other classes will be offered at the bindery each month from May through November. Stay tuned!
Design Your Own Workshop
Imagine sharing our cozy two-bedroom Schoolhouse with a friend or three in beautiful southern Vermont, and attending a book arts workshop of your own choosing. It could be anything from a 2-night stay with a single day-long workshop to a 3 or 4 night retreat with a day-and-a-half to 3-day workshop. Weekdays or weekends -- your choice. Make paste paper or marbled paper, then use it to create your own journal. Or delve into pop-ups or tunnel books. Or treat an affianced couple to a weekend at the Schoolhouse where they can make their own wedding album. The Schoolhouse offers all the amenities (fully equipped kitchen and bath, wraparound decks with hot tub) all in a secluded, beautiful rural setting a short walk from Otter Pond Bindery. Organic breakfast fixings provided, and gourmet lunch for each workshop day is also included. Call or email for details and rates.
Here are a few of the many possibilities:
* The Tunnel's End: Imagine & construct a tunnel book with your own images (2 day wkshp).
* All About Accordions: Make 3 to 4 different accordion structures and create images to fill one of them (1.5 day wkshp).
* Rounded and Backed: Make a hardbound book sewn on tapes with a rounded back cloth-and-board case (minimum 2 day wkshp)
* Casing In: Make a hardbound book and slipcase (minimum 2.5 day wkshp).
* A Slim Volume: Create your own collection of favorite poems (written by you or others, collected by you) in a limited edition chapbook (2 days with prep ahead).
* Paper Decoration I: Paste paper and three-section hardbound journals (2 day wkshp).
* Paper Decoration II: Marbled paper and two portfolio structures (2 day wkshp).
* 3 Books, 3 Sewings: Make three hardbound books using pamphlet stitch, Japanese 6-needle binding, and Coptic sewing techniques (2 day wkshp).
* Illustrated journals for beginners: Make a simple hardbound journal and learn 6 techniques for filling it (1or 1.5 day wkshp).
* The Drop Spine Box: Make one small and one large drop-spine box to store special objects, photos or papers (2 day wkshp).
* Out in the Field: Making and Keeping Field Journals (1 or 2 day wkshp).
* Books in the Classroom: Three techniques for teachers who want to integrate book arts into their curriculum (1 or 2 day wkshp).
* Chinese Sewing Box: Make a drop-wall etui of boards and book cloth to hold your sewing needles and findings (2 - 3 day wkshp).
* Fun with Pop-Ups: Make a boxed set of pop-up forms and then pick one to elaborate and encase it in a hardbound cover (1.5 - 2 day wkshp).
* Boxed In: Make a multi-section box for your bookbinding or sewing tools, decorated with marbled paper and covered with book cloth (2 day wkshp).
PAGE DOWN FOR DIRECTIONS TO BINDERY AND SCHOOLHOUSE NUMBER 10.