Spring & Summer Book Arts Classes at Otter Pond Bindery
This class schedule was updated on MAY 16TH, 2016. The schedule is subject to changes/additions depending on class requests. Please email email@example.com to sign up. All classes include materials, a delicious lunch and dessert, and printed instructions. A $40 nonrefundable deposit is required for each class. (If classes don't run, you get a full refund). Page Down to the bottom for directions to the Bindery.
PLEASE NOTE: I have listed only a few classes below along with the dates for Book Arts Boot Camp. If you have a specific request for a given class or want to design your own weekend, see the suggestion list that follows and contact me with dates you would be available. I will do my best to match your wishes. I will be unavailable on May13-May27, July 30 to August 6, and September 8th to 17th.
Saturday, JUNE 4TH: Paste Paper Come and make your year's supply of paste paper for book covers, boxes, envelopes & cards. Optionally learn to fold gorgeous paste paper luminaria. $90 includes lunch and all materials, along with the printed recipes. Room for 5 students.
Sunday, JUNE 5TH: 3-Section Hardbound Journal. Use your new supply of paste paper to cover a 9.25" x 7.25" hardbound journal with cloth spine. This is a great class for beginners or anyone interested in making a useful journal. $90 includes lunch and all materials, along with printed instructions. (If you sign up for the Paste Paper Class (see above) and stay for this class, the Schoolhouse is available for those from far away.)
Saturday, June18th-Sunday June 19th: Japanese Chitsu In this two-day class, fold and sew two or three Japanese sidebound books and enclose them in a three-fold cloth-covered case called a "chitsu" with bone clasps. $175 includes two lunches, all materials and printed instructions.
DATE TBA: Image & Word: Developing an Interactive Practice with Poet and Writer Christian McEwen and Book Artist Susan Bonthron. In this workshop participants will explore a thoughtful, generative way to develop poems inspired by images and collect them in an unusual and simple book format. No bookbinding or poetry experience necessary. $120 includes a delicious lunch and all materials. Limited to 8 participants.
[FULL--WAIT LIST ONLY] Thursday, August 11th through Sunday, August 14th: Book Artists' Boot Camp. A 4-day workshop at Otter Pond Bindery, with a special concentration TBA.Thursday we'll work with paper decoration techniques; Friday we'll work a specific book form; Saturday and Sunday we'll work on individual book art projects with content and forms of our own devising, and private consultations with me. On all four days we'll share meal preparation. Students from away can stay at "Schoolhouse No. 10", a 2-minute walk from Otter Pond Bindery (limited spaces, so sign up right away if you're interested! Space may also be available at "The Cabin in Bear Meadow", a half mile away). The bindery and its tools and equipment will be available before and after workshops for those who need more time/space to complete their projects. It is possible to sign up for two out of the four days; please call to discuss. Full price for Room, most board, 4-day workshop, instructions and materials is $580. Only three spaces remain for this option; preference will be given to students who sign up for all four days. For the two-day workshop with one night's room & board, $320; day student rate for 4-day workshop, $380; for 2-day workshop, $200. Instruction starts at 10AM and Susan will be available for consultation until 4:30PM, but studio will be open for use before and after. I am limiting participation to six students.
Design Your Own Workshop
Imagine sharing our cozy two-bedroom Schoolhouse with a friend or three in beautiful southern Vermont, and attending a book arts workshop of your own choosing. In addition to the regular classes listed on this website, you could design anything from a 2-night stay with a single day-long workshop to a 3 or 4 night retreat with a day-and-a-half to 3-day workshop. Weekdays or weekends -- your choice. Make paste paper or marbled paper, then use it to create your own journal. Or delve into pop-ups or tunnel books. Or treat an affianced couple to a weekend at the Schoolhouse where they can make their own wedding album. The Schoolhouse offers all the amenities (fully equipped kitchen and bath, wraparound decks with hot tub) all in a secluded, beautiful rural setting a short walk from Otter Pond Bindery. Organic breakfast fixings provided, and gourmet lunch for each workshop day is also included. Call or email for details and rates.
Here are a few of the many possibilities:
* The Tunnel's End: Imagine & construct a tunnel book with your own images (2 day wkshp).
* All About Accordions: Make 3 to 4 different accordion structures and create images to fill one of them (1.5 day wkshp).
* Rounded and Backed: Make a hardbound book sewn on tapes with a rounded back cloth-and-board case (minimum 2 day wkshp)
* Casing In: Make a hardbound book and slipcase (minimum 2.5 day wkshp).
* Book Arts for Teachers: Learn a variety of techniques for using book arts to enhance learning in the classroom.
* A Slim Volume: Create your own collection of favorite poems (written by you or others, collected by you) in a limited edition chapbook (2 days with prep ahead).
* Paper Decoration I: Paste paper and three-section hardbound journals (2 day wkshp).
* Paper Decoration II: Marbled paper and two portfolio structures (2 day wkshp).
* 3 Books, 3 Sewings: Make three hardbound books using pamphlet stitch, Japanese 6-needle binding, and Coptic sewing techniques (2 day wkshp).
* Illustrated journals for beginners: Make a simple hardbound journal and learn 6 techniques for filling it (1or 1.5 day wkshp).
* The Drop Spine Box: Make one small and one large drop-spine box to store special objects, photos or papers (2 day wkshp).
* Out in the Field: Making and Keeping Field Journals (1 or 2 day wkshp).
* Books in the Classroom: Three techniques for teachers who want to integrate book arts into their curriculum (1 or 2 day wkshp).
* Chinese Sewing Box: Make a drop-wall etui of boards and book cloth to hold your sewing needles and findings (2 - 3 day wkshp).
* Fun with Pop-Ups: Make a boxed set of pop-up forms and then pick one to elaborate and encase it in a hardbound cover (1.5 - 2 day wkshp).
* Boxed In: Make a multi-section box for your bookbinding or sewing tools, decorated with marbled paper and covered with book cloth (2 day wkshp).
PAGE DOWN FOR DIRECTIONS TO BINDERY AND SCHOOLHOUSE NUMBER 10.